Saturday, October 13, 2012

Fright Night

Tonight, we went to a Halloween store under the pretext of finding a costume for Tina, but we really just wanted to play. My boys are a bit sensitive sometimes, so this was likely to end badly.

The jumping spider at the entrance gave us all a scare, but was quickly forgotten. We visited most of the large, loud displays and Zeke looked on them, from a distance, with respectful caution and fascination. We tried on a few masks and looked at the children's costumes, and then it was time to go.

As I walked with Zeke toward the back wall to return the bloody ax we used to kill a spider and a snake, I pushed the button next to the full-size Frankenstein's monster and kept walking. Zeke wasn't ready for this one, and immediately started screaming and crying for Dad.

I should note at this point that I'm not a terrible father. In this instance, however, I clearly was a super jerk and felt very bad as I carried my sobbing child out of the store and back to the car.

We won't be going back to that store, and might renew our general ban on Halloween stores until our boys are into their teens.

No comments: